Wednesday, March 2, 2011

of Doyald Young

At some point in college, I wandered into an AIGA event happening in the UT Art Building. It was free, and it was about design, so I decided to go. The following lecture amazed me and gave me a new zeal for typography and design. I have cherished and dog-eared my copy "The Art of the Letter" which was published by Smart Papers, and handed out freely at the lecture.

Doyald Young's lecture showed us that he was still enthusiastic about design, despite a long and prolific career. He spoke to the filled auditorium like he was addressing a classroom, and it was a life changing experience. I can only imagine how his students felt.

I am remembering all this now as I read that Doyald Young passed away yesterday. I am so glad that I got the chance to hear him speak, and to catch a little of his passion for the letter.

The MyFonts blog directed me to this article, which includes a collection of his most famous work. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment